Friday, January 21, 2011

Hey guys sorry I haven't been able to post in awhile it's just since middle school has started I have been really bogged down with home work                         

This is a picture of the great ironclad battle
So ... heres my post, just recently a well known 150 year old civil war ironclad ship ,the USS Moniter's,30 ton steam engine is getting  a close up look for the very first time! Back in Dec. 31 1862 at 1:30 am. the ironclad was overcome by the waves after an attack by the CSS Merrimer 16 miles off Cape Hatteras in North Carolina. Almost a decade after it was descovered the engine was kept in a 35,000 gallon tank of alkaline water to loosen the barnacle-like sedement covering 85% of the engines surface. Pretty cool huh?




1 comment:

  1. That's encouraging news ! Maybe I can have my barnacles removed the same way,as long as the tank doesn't have to be 35000 gallons.
    PopPop

    ReplyDelete